Sunday, 1 April 2007

I got myself a new, shiny N800!

Maybe no surprise as the title of this blog says it all, but I got the super-gadget directly from Belgium February 7. It took only one and a half day from I entered my VISA-number until TNT tried to deliver it in Oslo. TRIED. For some stupid reason, TNT tries to deliver the parcel at home addresses during office hours without prior notice. I'm never at home at that time, and had to call them to redeliver at work after the weekend. I'm not the first one to notice this madness.


The device looks good, but tastes better. Especially the shiny high-res screen is appealing, as many bloggers have pointed out. Size-wise, it's bigger than a Palm PDA and smaller than a normal tablet. It didn't occur to me before that the Palm was designed to fit in a shirt pocket. The N800 does not. It fits in a jacket pocket though. For heavy web browsing it's a bit small and as a music player and PDA, it's a bit big. As a remote control and for GPS navigation, it's just perfect.

It quickly came to me that this device is perfect as a remote control. Yes, you heard me right: remote control. A very expensive one, though. But if you think about it, not that much more expensive than a decent iPod. What you can't do with an iPod is sit comfortably in the sofa with no wires and control the music on the stereo. With mpd and gmpc, you have a jukebox that can be controlled with a rich interface from multiple sources. I'd die to have the latest version of gmpc ported to maemo, though. Anyone?

No comments: